# Wednesday, 04 July 2012

When deleting a VM from your Windows Azure account as you might not need it anymore and you want to cut down on costs you can simply navigate to the portal, select the VM and press the Delete icon at the bottom:

storagedeletionerror01

That’s only the VM but when I set it up initially I chose to have a the Storage account to be auto generated. As a good housekeeper I didn’t only want to delete the VM but also the associated Storage as that might also still incur costs which I don’t want.

However when I tried to do so I got the following:

storagedeletionerror02

Clicking the i for more information it gave me the following error message:

Storage account portalvhds0xgvcb5chg1gf has 1 container(s) which have an active image and/or disk artifacts. Ensure those artifacts are removed from the image repository before deleting this storage account.

Descriptive, but not really showing what I needed. It turned out to be that there’s also still a disk attached to the VM, but there was no indication in the portal that there was still something lying around. Simply navigating to Virtual Machines > Disks showed the associated disk:

storagedeletionerror03

Deleting this one and then going to the storage overview again I could delete the extra storage without problems:

storagedeletionerror04

I gave this back as feedback to the people at Microsoft and apparently it was listed as a bug but not yet taken care off. I’m sure it’ll be ironed out soon but in the mean time you can simply follow this little check to make sure you don’t have to pay extra costs when deleting a VM in total.

Grz, Kris.

Wednesday, 04 July 2012 19:28:37 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)  #    Disclaimer  |  Comments [0]  | 
# Thursday, 07 July 2011

You know how it goes, you’re coding “in the zone” and suddenly, poof, some error message. The culprit is that you have a localized version of the error message and your favorite search engine doesn’t really give you back some fancy hits to look for the golden answer. Bummer! However there’s hope for all facing this problem. This morning I came to know about an awesome online project to “unlocalize” error messages to English again: http://unlocalize.com/.

Both .NET and SQL Server are in their portfolio and they also provide some handy plugins for different browsers like IE, Chrome and Firefox: http://unlocalize.com/News.aspx.

Be sure to give it a try.

Grz, Kris.

Thursday, 07 July 2011 10:19:55 (GMT Daylight Time, UTC+01:00)  #    Disclaimer  |  Comments [0]  |